[OM] Re: Okay, Let's talk about vacation spots...

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, Let's talk about vacation spots...
From: edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:28:39 -0400
On Sunday 02 May 2004 20:09, you wrote:
> End of this month I'll be packing the family up and spending a
> week up on one of my most favorite spots.  The Porcupine
> Mountains. This wilderness/park is located on the western end of
> Michigan's Upper Penninsula on Lake Superior. The tallest "peak"
<snip>
> Where are YOU going?
>
> AG-Schnozz

You know, we hadn't made up our mind yet.  I want to go EVERYWHERE this
summer... near Mont Tremblant (Quebec) where my son will be working with
disabled adults on a farm, on to Quebec City, Nova Scotia and esp. Cape
Breton Island to hear Gaelic, participate in Ceidlihs and drink the ONLY
single malt made in North America, Newfoundland for more Ceilidhs and some
Screech, Kilarney Provincial Park... but now, dammit, you've mentioned Lake
Superior and shee-it, I just want to go back.

My favourite spot is northeast of Porcupine: Pukaskwa (pronounced PUK-a-saw)
National Park, near Marathon, ON.  The campground is relatively small, about
65 sites.  It is occupied by quiet people (no rowdy boozers here), and it is
not only a beautiful campground, but it has some creature comforts that might
SEEM incongruous to CAMPING at first, but are just damn nice.  In particular,
the showers in the facilities are CEDAR-LINED.  Try taking a HOT shower in a
shower stall lined with cedar.   Lord, all I need is a Chateaux Margaux when
I exit, and I can die in bliss.  Did I mention this place is nice.

Most of Pukaskwa is backcountry camping, for which a reservation is necessary.
(Reservations not accepted at the main campground.)  Don't try to rig your
own bear bucket; they'll supply them for you, flying in any that need
replacing, via helicopter.  I haven't done any backcountry yet, but I think
our next trip will be a "scouting" trip to see what canoe routes I might be
able to negotiate.

Superior is a supernatural place.  IMO, anyone who doesn't FEEL what I mean,
doesn't have a spiritual pulse.  (semi- :-) )  I was first there (via the UP
route) in 67, and didn't return until September '92.  in '67 I had just
graduated from high school and my sensibilities were pretty limited.  The
second visit really got to me; there is a power there, and it is evidenced in
the meterology, as well as other physical phenomena.

I too would take 4x5.  I have some Tri-X 4x5 negatives from the '92 trip, but
they really aren't that great, technically.  I need to remedy that.  OMs as
well, natch.  I would probably do Kodachrome, processing challenges
notwithstanding.

Earl