[OM] Photographic Tools

Subject: [OM] Photographic Tools
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 23:18:49 -0700
There are three great tools I use a lot in getting to my finished image
from digital or scanned OM slide and I thought sharing might help
someone else.

Photokit Sharpener(PKS). I first read about it on Reichmann's site. He
apologized because he had just done a rave review for Focal Blade
Sharpener and PKS just came out and was better. It was created by some
really big name photoshop gurus and I tried it. It is wonderful.
Sharpening decisions are now easy and are almost 100 percent spot on.
Works with scanning and with digital cameras. Amazingly flexible, but
creates perfect results in the dummy mode I use.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/pk-sharpener.shtml

Grain Surgery. Reduce film grain or digital noise. Works great. It has
saved some of those old slides I have wanted to print. Expensive, but
works with my Mac. It also has an add grain feature. If you have done
nice but characterless B&W with your digital camera, you can transform
it with a nice TriX grain. Noise Ninja is coming out with a Mac version
and I have tried the beta. It looks to be even better at getting the
noise without softening the image. Good site for comparison, but does
not have version 2 of Noise Ninja which just came out:

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm

Pictographics Editlab PS plugin, recommended by someone on this list. I
don't remember who. It doesn't do anything Photoshop can't do, but it
is soooo easy to correct for color. It has saved many an old slide with
a weird color balance and what it does with faded slides is magical. It
is not one hundred percent though. It does have controls so that you
can tame or enhance some of the things that it does if you object to
the finished product. It gets you in the ballpark so that all you have
to do is tweak a little. More useful with scanned film than digital
images, although sometimes it is the only thing to finish an image when
I can't quite get the white balance right.

http://www.picto.com/