[OM] Re: [OT] Re: ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHH Matie!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHH Matie!!!
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:33:34 -0400
LOL.  I trust you saw the ";-)" And yes, it's OT.  My reference was to the
storage capacities of the boat.  Open canoes do not have space restrictions of
kayaks.  There are advantages to both types of craft, depending on application
and on the preferences of the paddler.  For what you are doing, a kayak
probably makes a bit more sense, since an with open canoe you might need
additional weather decking (typically canvas or similar material) to guard
against higher seas than in a more placid body of water.  That is part of the
reason kayaks were invented.

BTW, kayaks were invented by northern native peoples (i.e., "Indians" such as
the Inuit, Laps, etc.).  Neither the Inuit nor First Nations people in more
southerly climes were without adventure, IIRC.  I hope your offhand remark was
not culturally biased ... or worse.

In any event, I will be interested in what you come up with, as I anticipate a
kayak in my future, to add to my cedar strip/canvas canoe.

Earl