[OM] Re: [OM]unusual lens

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]unusual lens
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:24:44 +0200

I was astonished to see that a 350/5.6 Tamron mirror auction on UK eBay
ended this morning with a price of 166GBP = 297USD ! The last one sold on
UK eBay managed less than half of that. I will have to look after mine...

I can confirm that it is light, focuses easily and very closely (1.1m), is
easily hand-held, and ideal for backpacking. You can also use an Adaptall
(-1) adapter, as stop-down is not required (fixed 5.6).

Roger Key

Mike wrote:

>You did note it's a 350, not a 500...

yup. I thought the 350 Tamron would be a bit smaller than the Zuiko 500.
I want something to take backpacking. The 500 is a nice lens with
excellent contrast in its class, but... despite what some say about this
lens I don't think any 500 is hand holdable and at f8 the viewfinder is
too dark to easily focus. So maybe the 350 at one stop brighter and a
little lighter might work out. And leave some $$$ in my pocket. The
close focus isn't a selling point for me as the bokeh probably sucks.

Mike