[OM] Re: E-1, E-1, E-1! Who's next?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1, E-1, E-1! Who's next?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:22:54 -0300

> I will never serious about compact DC, the CCD is so small to produce good
> OOF effect except for macro and distance landscape, not to mention the
> slowish shutter response and poor viewfinder. The sub-100ms shutter lag
E-1
> is the only way to go. I didn't say compact DC cannot produce good images
> but just no fun to use.
>
> C.H.Ling

> > > I'm beginning to feel downright lonely and out of place here, like a
> > > duck in a henhouse.  Is everybody selling stuff and saving up to buy
> > > an E-1?  Am I the only one holding out for at least the E-2?  Am I
> > > paranoid?  Or is it maybe just that I've got a two-year supply of
> > > film?
> > >
> > > Walt

I had a few 4x6 prints made from my C5050 today, at a professional lab, not
walmart or the grocery chain store. Some were just birthday pics. The skin
colors are not natural at all, but perhaps it is due to being taken with
on-camera flash. The colors in the outdoor pictures was fine though, and
overall picture quality is okay. But for snapshot flash pictures, I would
certainly prefer prints made with Kodak Portra  400VC on my Oly Epic 2.8, at
a fraction of the overall cost. Even my wife, who is not very picky about
picture quality as I am, commented on the poor skin tones, and some purple
fringes showing up. Unless the E1 significantly exceeds the C5050 in picture
quality, I would have no interest in spending that kind of money on an E-1.
After all, you can only use it for prints, not slides. And if you only want
it for computer screen use, it is a bit expensive for me for that price.

And, yes, the C5050 is really not a fun camera to use, chiefly because of
the shutter lag and poor viewfinder. I would much prefer even my OM10 over
the C5050 to use. Comparing it to the OM2s or OM1n is a joke imo.

I've never handled the E-1, but I would suspect it much more fun to use than
a compact digital camera. If they depreciate at the rate of present digital
cameras, I may pick one up on the used market at about 1/4 its present
value. That will likely be a couple years or so though.

Wayne