[OM] Re: Introduction and lens mount question re. danger to OM4 reset bu

Subject: [OM] Re: Introduction and lens mount question re. danger to OM4 reset button
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
Slippery is no problem with a dab of 5-minute epoxy.  And when service is
required a little heat applied briefly with a mini-torch or a soldering iron
softens the epoxy so that it is easy to dig out with an approriate tool.  There
has been a lot of list traffic over the years on Adaptall mounts and OM-4 reset
buttons but it really isn't a big deal.

Gary Edwards (two OM-4ts, Tamron 90/2.8 and SP 400/4)

Walter Stephan <wstephan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello list members,
I've just joined the list, although I've been lurking on the online archives
for quite some time now (I've even bought a few items from list members).

First of all, a brief "OM history" and about myself:
I bought my first real camera in the early 1980's, an OM10 with MIJ 50 f1.8.
Pretty soon after that I got a cheap used Vivitar 28 f2.8 (I now know made by
Komine, and actually a pretty decent lens), a weird Soligor 45-135 f3.5
zoom (massive beast), and some time after that a Zuiko 200 f4.

For many years this was my whole kit, until a year or two ago I discovered
this list and *bay. I've now got about 7 bodies and 25 lenses, and
counting... This brings me to my question: among my most recent
acquisitions is a Vivitar Series 1 90-180 f4.5 flat field zoom (in excellent
condition, only a scratch or two on the corners of tripod mount to distiguish
from new). This lens unfortunately has 4 screws holding the mount on, at
12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, which as far as I can tell is exactly the
same configuration as the "dangerous" Tamron adaptall mounts re. shearing off
the little reset button on the OM4 lens mount. My problem is that my normal
"serious" photo kit includes an OM4 and an OM2N and a bunch of lenses,
so that if I include the 90-180 zoom in my bag I'm in danger of accidentally
mounting it on the OM4. The lens is nice and somewhat rare, so I certainly
wouldn't want to use the epoxy fix that is fine on the adaptall mounts, since
at some point it may be necessary to open the lens up from the back to get at
the aperture for eg. So I'm looking for suggestions: what could I use to
fill the screw hole on the lens that will not easily fall out, will be smooth
and slippery enough for the little button to slide over it easily, and then
also be readily removable (solvent?) if it becomes necessary to service the
lens?

List Problem"