[OM] Sports with the E-1: results and opinions

Subject: [OM] Sports with the E-1: results and opinions
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 23:51:30 -0500
More shots with the E-1's 50-200 today, mostly at 200mm at a soccer game.

I think the best one is
http://skipwilliams.smugmug.com/gallery/113640/1/4060025.

The whole game's pictures are at
http://skipwilliams.smugmug.com/gallery/113434, but all 37 are kind of tedious
to look through.  This is the edit from 149 exposures.

What I found out today was:

- Three focusing points ARE NOT ENOUGH to ensure that the camera stays locked
onto a subject.  I had a significant number of pictures where the subject
strayed between the focusing points and the camera focused on the background.
It's quite usable, but you have to be careful.  I'll need the next generation
body to cure that issue.  I'm not spending $4k on a 1D or D2H

- 3 fps isn't fast enough

- The lens focuses pretty quickly, but not as quick as a Nikon AF-S lens

- Color came out very nice, and the exposures were perfect

- The sensor has a relatively narrow dynamic range, and the images look a lot
like slides shot in full sun.  I had to use Photoshop CS's Shadow/Highlight
tool on most of the images to get the shadows to open up.  It wasn't hard, but
it was a pain.  There was a lot of detail there and the photos looked great
after the edit.  IMO, this would have been the same situation as shooting
slides.

- The lens is very light and handles great.  The zoom ring is a bit stiff, but
it's very wide and easy to grip.  The tripod mounting ring adds a nice bit of
handling ease.  When you zoom the lens out to 200mm, it grows about 4", which
kind of looks phallic.  I'm a little bit concerned about the polycarbonate
construction of the barrel, but that's because I'm used to all-metal
construction of the 80's or Leica.  I can get used to modern materials.

In general, I'm very happy and it's far easier to share photos like this that
are already digital than scanning.  There's really no comparison to a film
workflow.

Skip