[OM] Re: Dusty Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Dusty Lenses
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 00:40:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 8 May 2004, Garth Wood wrote:

>                                                       In other words, they'd
> assume I just bought them used, and would assess taxes, duties, etc., etc.,
> etc.  Maintaining Oly equipment in Canada is increasingly difficult.  And
> NAFTA's largely a joke when it comes to the movement of goods across the
> border, and worse when you're trying to purchase services south of the border.

If the returning item has the correct paperwork with it, you shouldn't be
charged any taxes other than GST on the value of the service.  Even if it
doesn't have the correct paperwork and they charge you full tax on the value
of the item, you can easily get it back by submitting the invoice showing the
work.  It takes a couple of months but you will eventually get your money back.
I suppose you could also use this as a loophole to avoid taxes.  Have the
lens serviced in the US before having it sent here :-)
                                        -mark