[OM] Re: Dusty Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Dusty Lenses
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 08:01:50 -0400
on 2004/05/09 12:26 AM, Garth Wood at garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ...there is no simple way of keeping said
> offspring from assuming that, on the return leg of any journey my precious
> Zuikos might take from being maintained in the U.S., I'm not actually
> importing lenses which I did not previously own.  In other words, they'd
> assume I just bought them used, and would assess taxes, duties, etc., etc.,
> etc.  Maintaining Oly equipment in Canada is increasingly difficult.  And
> NAFTA's largely a joke when it comes to the movement of goods across the
> border, and worse when you're trying to purchase services south of the border.

FTA and NAFTA were written for corporations, not people, but let's not start
that subject here.

It certainly used to be the case that you could go into a Customs office,
show them your equipment (no smutty jokes here) and they would write down
make/model/serial number on a little green card. This could subsequently be
used to prove you had had in the country before. I did it once or twice and
they didn't even ask for receipts to show proof of duty - guess they could
see it wasn't used.

Andrew