[OM] Using OM to achieve filmlook on video

Subject: [OM] Using OM to achieve filmlook on video
From: "CrisPi" <cris.pi@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:11:53 +0200
Hello everybody!

Here's a question to all of you. It regards using an OM-x to achieve
filmlook on video.

It is possible to use a video camera to shoot the image that you see through
the viewfinder of an SLR. This trick works with a Nikon F3 and a "sports
finder" (I guess, judging from the German description "Sportsucher"). You
have the "sports finder" attached to the eyepiece and a video camera
attached to the "sports finder" shooting that image. Pretty simple.

Now why do this? You do this in order to achieve the same (lack of) depth of
field 35mm film has. In digital video, because of the small dimensions of
the chip,
practically everything on screen is sharp, and this makes the image rather
dull.

How can I do the same trick using my OM-2?

1. What about the VARIMAGNI FINDER - does that enlarge the viewfinder image
so that it can be then recorded on video? The Varimagni Finder is 90°
angled - this means the video camera should be put vertically on top of it,
making handling pretty difficult. What about other possibilities of
enlarging the viewfinder image? Does anybody have any experience with that?

2. Where can I get a clear FOCUSING SCREEN, with no focus aid on it? (I live
in Germany). Are there any clear focusing mattes for Olympus?

Well, loads of thanx in advance.

Cristian
ongoing cameraman and photographer
check out my website www.crispi.tk