[OM] Re: Worth going up to OM-4

Subject: [OM] Re: Worth going up to OM-4
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 21:04:13 -0700

On May 9, 2004, at 7:18 PM, Ali wrote:

> I am beginning to wonder if its even worth considering going "up" to
> an OM
> 4/T/Ti. With the issues of battery drainage and electronic failures...I
> wonder if its worth the risk to pick one up. Kind of like playing
> russian
> roulette. I feel like I will get the same enjoyment if I stick with my
> OM-1n
> and 2n bodies. Certainly the 4's are great bodies but I would hate to
> purchase something and find that it does not work properly.

I am surprised someone did not clarify this, but maybe I missed it. The
OM4 is the only one with the battery drainage problems. A few OM4s, at
the end of their run, got the circuit board for the new OM4T/Ti. The
battery problems of these late ones and the OM4T/Ti were solved by the
new board. In addition the new board was according to Pop Photo, of a
new flexible design that greatly improved its reliability. If you are
buying a plain OM4 in person you can check whether it has the new
circuit by its behavior during battery check. If doing your examination
by pictures or description from a distance get one of the T/Ti variety.
The T and Ti are exactly the same. The T name plate was on the US model
in an attempt to identify the gray market models from the rest of the
world marked by the Ti. After a while they all became Ti. So other than
buying used your risk goes way down buying a 4T/Ti. If you get a 4Ti
Black in the US you are likely to get a very late model one.

I have never used a 2N, but after using the my 4T's multispot meter
anything else seems crude and crippled. Ask anyone who has used one
whether they are sorry and wish they could use one of the earlier
cameras. Go for it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA