[OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film

Subject: [OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:29:21 -0700
Interesting comments, AG.

Could you clarify why you think you'd have made the wrong
decision if you had gotten a DSLR? Just curious.

>Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 16:49:11 -0700 (PDT)
>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Event photography with digital vs film
>
>For the past couple of years I've sworn that it would be the
>very last time I shoot a certain annual event (a convention)
>with film.  Well, this year I shot it in digital.  Kept the film
>cameras within reach if necessary, but never did use them.
>
>I'm glad that my first "serious" digital camera wasn't that big
>of a financial investment. I can guarantee that I probably would
>have made the wrong decision if I'd gone directly to a DSLR.
><SNIP>

>Multiple storage.  I need to pick up another 1GB+ CF card.
You can get 1 GIG Lexar 40X CF cards from Adorama now for $239,
Samy's has a special,
two 1 GIG Lexar 40X Pro for $499.

>I very much enjoyed the instant feedback of digital.
>Unfortunately, it was also necessary.  I'm still not comfortable
>with my flash exposures so I had to review nearly every photo
>and make adjustments as necessary.  Where's my OTF?
>
>Filesizes were nearly ideal.  For this type of photography I'm
>hard pressed to figure out a need for 8MP (or more).  5MP is
>just enough and is managable.  I'm not saying that I'd turn down
>more pixels, but my original hunch about this proved to be
>accurate.  Still, my next camera (unless it's a used D1X) will
>be at least 8MP.
>
><SNIP>
>As time goes on, I'm learning more and more about what I really
>want in a DSLR.  I'm concerned about the sensor size of the E-1
>and the autofocus performance.  The size, weight, and other
>performance characteristics of the camera appear ok, though.  If
>I could have had the E-1 with my 100/2.8 for this event, I would
>have been in hog heaven.

All legitimate concerns. Don't forget the write time to the card issue.
That was the most exasperating thing I found about the E-1.

One of the guys I shoot with, Mike Doran, gave the Oly rep, Joe
Guzman, feedback about the E-1 after we returned it after our M/C
race at Fontana. The no. 1 complaint was the write times to the card.
Turns out my concerns were shared by Mike, and had nothing to do
whether or there was formatting the card in the camera. Mike did that
and I still heard him cursing the write times. The Oly rep
acknowledged this and knew about it, but wanted real-world use from a
pro with which to go back to Olympus. The rumor is that Oly will
release a successor the E-1 in the fall addressing the camera's
current shortcomings, which as I see it are autofocus, noise and
write time lag.

If I were any of you considering an E-1, I would wait 6 mos. or so.

-Stephen.