[OM] Re: The digital OM???

Subject: [OM] Re: The digital OM???
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 04:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
I used to work with the guy who invented TERCOM - the patent is in his name.
Never knew that it used Zuikos.

Gary Edwards

Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure that flashing a strobe is a practical proposition for a
high sub-sonic missile travelling at 50-odd ft. Nor would it do much
for its stealth characteristics...

But digital scene comparison is pretty smart.

Chris

On 10 May 2004, at 17:45, John Vince wrote:

> I did a quick search on Fairchild Weston Schlumberger and it would
> appear
> that this item is part of the targeting system for the Tomahawk cruise
> missile (TLAM-C)!!
>
> www.aeronautics.ru/bgm109a.htm
>
> "While TLAM-N uses inertial and TERCOM guidance alone, TLAM-C uses a
> Loral
> Digital Scene-Mapping Area Correlator (DSMAC) as it nears the target
> for
> still greater accuracy. DSMAC correlates the optical view of the target
> area- obtained with a Fairchild Weston Schlumberger Charge-Coupled
> Device
> (CCD) sensor-with digitized target maps, refining the missile's
> terminal
> flight. For night flights, the DSMAC can flash a strobe light when
> needed."
>
> There's no mention of which OM lens they use.
>
> Definitely a James Bond device.
>
> John Vince

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker