[OM] More Costumers...

Subject: [OM] More Costumers...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:46:23 -0400
Richard said:
This set is labelled My Wife and My Concubine
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=539

Comments etc. as usual, are welcome
I had pretty much the same comments as Andrew.  You are shooting from
inside the shade towards full sun.  This causes two problems.

The first is the dynamic range required which may exceed the
capabilities of the film and/or print.  A good exposure in the shade
will leave the background overexposed.  A good background exposure will
leave your subjects underexposed.

You can likely work on these images in PhotoShop and increase the
brightness of the shaded subjects and reduce the brightness of the
sunlit background.  This may produce a much more pleasing image but
there is yet another phychological factor that has to be dealt with.

The second problem is that the eye is naturally drawn to bright areas of
the image so, even if you are successful in reducing the dynamic range
in these photos the background will still be much brighter and may
visually compete with your subjects.

Sometimes you just don't have any choice in how your subjects are lit.
However the best solution is to always avoid these difficult lighting
situations if you can.  I will probably always remember my photo
mentor's advice when trying to take a group portrait under similar
conditions.  I lamented that the sunlit background over a pond was
making for a difficult lighting situtation with subjects standing in the
shade of the trees.  I said: "What should I do?"  He said:  "Easy, don't
take the picture there."  I said: "But that's where the clients what it
taken".  He said:  "Easy, tell the clients that the lighting isn't
proper there and they won't like the picture.  Tell them they'll have to
move over there."  I did, they did and we got a great group portrait.

Chuck Norcutt