[OM] Re: OT Rabies (Was: difficult to photoraph...)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rabies (Was: difficult to photoraph...)
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:58:08 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/2004 8:59:41 AM Central Daylight Time, om4t@xxxxxxxx
writes:
Greg, Mind if I ask your advice? Given my cat has had rabies
vaccinations, do I need to keep an eye on him? What should I look for?
The bite punctured the skin, and there was a lot of saliva on his fur.
Besides the vaccinations, he was also treated for potential rabies
about 2 years ago.
Wayne,
I didn't read the first post in this thread, was the fox showing any signs of
illness? Vaccination is not a perfect process, and while the vast majority of
animals (or humans) that are vaccinated will get good protection, a small
percentage do not. Of course, any bite wound has a good chance of getting
infected with bacteria from the oral cavity of the biter, so antibiotics would
be a
standard precaution, but won't help against rabies. Rabies can cause almost any
neurological signs, and the incubation period can vary. My best advice would
be to consult your local veterinarian about the particulars, especially the
antibiotics.

HTH,
Greg