[OM] 20/2 and Manfrotto 410

Subject: [OM] 20/2 and Manfrotto 410
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:48:04 -0400
Here's an overdue report on a couple of recent items.

I've been looking for a 38/2.8 for some time, as I wanted to shoot macro in
the 3X to 6X range. I got fed up waiting, and when KEH advertised a 20/2 I
decided to try it.

It was in advertised condition of course, and I set to work. Fortunately
Henry's had auctioned a Manfrotto 410 geared tripod head, a couple of list
members gave good reviews - so it and the 20/2 arrived chez moi more or less
at the same time.

The 20/2 is great, it's amazing to be able to photograph at 12X, but I was
right to be looking for the 38/2.8 instead. The 20/2 is awkward to use
around 4X. Sitting right on the camera with no extension it produces 3.5X.
With the 65-116 at minimum extension it produces 6.75X, bellows at minimum
produces about 5.75X. Thus, between 3.5X and 5.75X you have to use the
fixed-length tubes. As it has only 4mm of helicoid extension you can't
change magnification easily, and there are in fact minor gaps if you're
using the 7-14-25 set. Combined with a T28/TPC1 things can get a bit crowded
on top of the camera when you're working with short extension, but it's OK.

Working distance is *very* short: I was trying to shoot some tiny
wildflowers in my lawn yesterday, and had difficulty because the T28s were
bumping into the ground!

I found at f16 and 10X or so the images weren't quite as sharp as I'd like.
This may be a diffraction issue; I'll try larger apertures.

At high magnifications aiming the camera can get finicky, so I'm glad to
have the 410. Walt's comments about lack of backlash were instrumental in
this decision. This is a big feature, because above 2X I find backlash can
make it hard to get the composition I want (and that's with a Monoball).
Turning all the knobs puts me in mind of old WWII newsreels of people aiming
howitzers, but it's very precise and once aimed it stays aimed. The knobs
have to be turned a lot to get significant movements, but that's necessary
if they're to provide fine adjustment. Combined with a focusing stage you
can put the camera where you want it, but your fingers will do a lot of
work.

In summary I don't regret buying the 20/2, but it's not a substitute for the
38. The 410 will exercise your fingers but the camera will get where you
mean to put it. After working at these magnifications, putting on the 50/3.5
and a tube and shooting handheld seems positively footloose and fancy-free.
:-)

Andrew