[OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films into com

Subject: [OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films into computer
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:06:07 +0100 (BST)
Thanks for the post moose.
I can see why scaning a print from a nagative should be poor. Looking at
you link your flat bed scans they suffer from the same problems as I have
seen on the cds I have. poor colour, washed out, low detail. P.S. I also
own a Tamron 60-300 SP lens. Big and heavy but a nice lens none the less.

how about option 3? is it going to be costly and or difficult to develop
my own print film neagives? - sounds like it could be fun! My father did
his own slide film development and drove my mother crazy... :-)

>>2. Buy a negative scanner get the print film developed at a shop and scan
>>the negatives avoiding the cost of getting prints made

I will have a look at negative scanners that can do short strips of film.
But I am quite patient. I own a VPI record cleaning machine which takes
about 2 minutes a side and have cleaned almost 2000 records. so scanning a
few 36 rolls each month is not going to drive me more insane than I
already am!

>>3. develop the film myself and use a negative scanner
>>4. buy a digital camera body and use my olympus and tamron lenses
>>
> While certainly possible, as many have started recently with the E-1 and
> Can*n DSLRs, the lack of auto diaphram operation makes this impractical
> for casual uses where it is a bother and for high speeed uses where it
> gets in the way.

hmm does not sound good. If I am to go with option 4 I want simular
usability and facilities to the om4. What I realy want is an om4 with a
digital back...

Regards
James