[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:37:32 +0100
The range of densities recorded on a digital sensor seem to be more
limited in comparison with film - so the highlights tend to get burned
out more easily and you have to expose more for them.  Secondly, the
range of usable EIs is limited inasmuch as the higher speeds are too
noisy to use.

I understand that the higher end digital machines do better with the
range of EIs, but the density range is, as I understand it, still
limited.

Chris

On 14 May 2004, at 08:54, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> On May 13, 2004, at 11:23 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
>

>> "Remarkably variable" agreed Winsor, but with only a limited range -
>> both in terms of density and in exposure index.
>
> I have heard similar statements before, but did not really understand
> them.
>
> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA