[OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films into com

Subject: [OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films into computer
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:38:38 +0100
It isn't just the cost/quality balance that has to be struck, James.

How much time do you want to spend scanning the photos you have taken,
versus the time you have to take them in the first place?  High resolution
scanning is, in my experience, a slow job done frame by frame.  If you are
talking of numbers of photos sufficient to justify the capital outlay on a
GBP1500 scanner (my guess - say 200 films), then you must be prepared to
spend 15 weeks full-time scanning them (another wild guess at 5 mins per
scan for 200*36 scans, assuming a forty hour 'working' week).

No value judgements implied/intended/to be inferred here, merely trying to
put a different perspective on things.  And of course, you wouldn't actually
scan everything for yourself.

Piers