[OM] Transit of Venus/Exposure

Subject: [OM] Transit of Venus/Exposure
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:15:31 -0500
Greetings All,
        I have a question that is directed toward those on the List with
astrophotography experience. I plan to photograph the early morning (East
coast USA) solar transit of Venus that will occur on June 8th. I have
obtained two squares of Thousand Oak solar filter material (ND 5) that I
will fashion in such a way as to fit on the business end of my longest
lenses (300/500 both are 72mm) as well as my friend's 8" Meade telescope. I
will use a digital camera on the Meade (have an adaptor that will fit) as
well as the OM with slide film. My question is how best to meter with the
OM? I've read elsewhere to spot meter adjacent to the sun but I wonder if it
would not be better to meter manually and use some variation of the Sunny 16
rule. Thanks.

Charlie