[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:10:59 -0700
The argument that digital encourages the taking of lots unworthy
pictures while I try to make every shot count is persuasive. I have
made it myself. But, at least for me, it was based on economics and
logistics. How much film can you carry and pay for is a real
consideration. It can become a damper on experimentation and
creativity. "Oh, look. My trip is half over and almost all of my film
is exposed!" I don't think anyone would argue that someone shooting
excitedly more than their allotment of film for the day is less
creative.

Instant review can be a wonderful learning process that can accelerate
your development as a photographer. If an image looks strong
compositionally on a tiny LCD screen you can bet it will be strong at a
larger size.

There is a big downside to all this frequent digital shooting though.
Shutters and mirror mechanisms designed for life times based on film
usage are failing. There is some feedback on digital forums about
shutters, especially, failing after a couple of years. Because of the
numbering systems for the files they know it is because of the frequent
use. They are lasting beyond their designed lifetime for the number of
exposures, but some people are putting their cameras through a couple
of lifetimes in two or three years.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA