[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:33:27 -0700 (PDT)
Digital Diarrhea.  I love it.

I'm just short of 5000 exposures on the A1.  That didn't take
long.  Increased photo sales have paid for the investment
already.

I do take a lot more pictures with digital than I ever did with
film.  However, when you consider that so many shots are
brackets or "metering test shots" or focus-point retries, my
actual take rate isn't astronomically greater than it is with
film.  Case in point:  A couple weeks ago I shot a certain event
that I told you about.  By the time I edited down, the actual
submittion was about the same quantity of pictures I've shot
each year for the past three or four years.

(eating lunch here, Melinda's "XXXXtra Reserve" Original
Habanero Pepper Sauce is good stuff--very good stuff)

Anyway, the metering systems on the OM's are so powerful and
intuitive (light levels are analog, not digital) that I can
usually nail my film exposures without trying.  Suprisingly, the
matrix metering on the A1 is extremely good.  In bright sunlight
the meter is almost never fooled.  You can take a picture of an
emblem (logo) on a white car in direct sunlight and the exposure
will be dead-accurate. However, the center-weighted meter mode
is utter garbage.

Do I like editing through tons of lousy photos to get to the
good ones?  No.  It's a real pain when you shoot RAW and
everything has to be converted first before you go through your
second pass.  (First pass can be done on the camera, or in the
browzer which gives a large thumbnail image).  First pass gets
rid of obvious flubs, but focus issues can't be determined
without conversion.

You can't use the camera's monitor to always determine
composition.  The image is just too small.  In fact, I've seen
where I'm composing quite a bit differently because of it.  Some
pictures (especially those taken with wide-angle lenses) need to
be viewed on a large print (or projection). I've got a picture
of the Badlands in South Dakota that didn't do anything for
me--until I stuck it in a projector.  Instantly I was
overwhelmed by the magnitude and scale of the scene--but it was
a total dud on even an 11x17 print.

AG