[OM] Re: Doing my part

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing my part
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
> Really?  I don't think this is a bad OOF effect from the
> DiMAGE A1's sensor:
>       http://knownuniverse.net/oof01.jpg

Ok, don't meen to play dueling-digitals here, but look at the
bokeh in the Thorny Locust picture on my home page:

        http://www.iowatelecom.net/~image66/

The 2/3" sensor AND the zoom lens design conspire to give you
bokeh that isn't quite as sexy as that from a fixed focal-length
Zuiko.

For example, look at the "Old Comet" photo at the bottom of the
darkroom techniques page on my website.  That's from a Zuiko
35/2.8.  The digital scan doesn't even do it justice.  The
chemical print make you almost want to weep as the blur
transition is absolutely borderless.  Who says that wide-angles
can't bokeh?

But, back to the point.  The lens on the A1 does bokeh
reasonably well considering.  I seriously doubt that its
limitations are format size, but rather zoom-lens design.  The
standard zoom lens coming with the E-1 exhibits similar traits.
Case in point--the Pentax 110 SLR from the late '70s had
amazingly good bokeh in the lens designs.  Talk about a product
too good for the intended market (and film).

AG-Schnozz