[OM] [E1] Macro with E-1, 50-200mm and extension tube

Subject: [OM] [E1] Macro with E-1, 50-200mm and extension tube
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 07:23:15 -0400
I just started trying macro stuff with the E-1. The 14-54mm lens will
practically focus to the front of the glass, which means 0 working
distance.

The next best thing is the 50-200mm with the extension tube. With that
solution here is an example shot. The following shots are in adobe
color space, so will appear a little flat in sRGB monitor space. If you
download the full res shots and open them in Photoshop or equivalent
they will look more saturated. These shots were RAW with Adobe color
space, converted with Adobe raw conversion and white and black point
adjusted; then converted to 8-bit and jpeg. (Speaking of raw, the
Olympus Viewer is quite fast at viewing raw .ORF files.)

With the extension tube attached, coarse focus is done with the zoom
control, and fine focus with the focus ring. I found that the course
focus with the zoom very convenient. Besides changing the focal length,
the zoom also extends the front of the lens closer to the subject. It
gives quite a range of focus, unlike a fixed length macro lens.
Practically, you have to use manual focus mode, not auto-focus.

Focal Length: 96mm with extension. Manual Focus.

F. Number: F2.9
800x600: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140965_800x600.jpg>
full resolution: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140965.jpg>

Again at F6.3
800x600: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140967_800x600.jpg>
full res: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140967.jpg>

Again at F9.0
800x600: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140968_800x600.jpg>
full res: <http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5140968.jpg>

Wayne

PS, with these shots I'm up to almost 1000 shots in 2 days.