[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #109

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #109
From: "Stephen Scharf" <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:08:08 -0700

> Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 06:33:58 -0400
> From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

<SNIP>

> The E-1 has a 12 frame buffer that is independent of the memory card
> write speed, and you need to set the camera in continuos fire mode to
> get that rate. The amount of time it then takes to completely write the
> 12 frames to the flash card does vary. A Lexar card (no WA) takes about
> 1:15 minutes to fully write to the card, while a SanDisk Ultra II take
> 1:00 minutes. These cards are at least a year old and newer ones maybe
> faster.
>
> Sounds like C.H has faster cards. Which card and model are you using
> C.H.?
>
> Wayne
Wayne,
Well, I'm mystified by the results you guys are getting. I shot with the E-1
extensively at the AMA Superbike race at Fontana using the nice 50-200 lens.
I had the camera set for Continuous Focus. The cards we were using were 512
meg Lexar Pro 40X Write Accelerated. Should be almost as fast as a SanDisk
Ultra II. But here's the deal, I could often only take one frame at a time
when focussing on and tracking a fast-moving object, and even then, I had to
wait at times for the card to write.  I think I saw a thread that Skip
posted that the write speed slows way down when tracking autofocus, but all
I can tell you what was my experience. There were times even taking pit
shots that I wanted to squeeze off two or three frames in a row, and
couldn't as the camera was writing to the card. I believe you guys, but I am
mystified by why my experience was so different.

-Stephen.