[OM] Re: Save Kodachrome Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Save Kodachrome Day
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:30:37 -0700
on 5/15/04 8:36 AM, Philippe Le Zuikomane at zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know this sounds insane (newbie alert), but what is there in principle that
> prevents the formation of a photographers' nonprofit organization to take over
> corporate assets that non longer generate profits?
>
> If we really want to keep Grand Old Technology alive, isn't that something
> that could be pursued to some extent?
>
> And on the legal front, shouldn't intellectual property laws be amended so as
> to forbid entities that have been selling technology from negating the usage
> value of said technology by withdrawing products from the market, withdrawing
> technical support and availability of parts, while retaining the intellectual
> property connected to the discontinued technology?
>
> There is no such thing as forced obsolescence of a Stradivarius. But there is
> a colossal amount of forced obsolescence which is underpinned in great part by
> existing intellectual property laws.
>
> {Phil}

Kodachrome has to be thought of as a system... the film has layers of
sensitivity but no dyes in those layers. During the processing the dyes are
added to the appropriate layers. Even if you bought the processing machine,
you would need the dyes, and you would need the special film emulsion as
well, before you could continue the Kodachrome experience.

What's really amazing is that this was all invented originally nearly 70
years ago, and its still the 'standard' which all the E6 and other processes
aim for. I absolutely loved Kodachrome II, and Kodachrome 25 even when all I
had for a camera was my folks Argus C3. Those slides -still- look perfect...
and manually setting the exposure with a hand-held selenium meter was part
of my learning curve. When I got my first OM-1 I was shooting about a roll a
week of Kodachrome-64, which still looks good as well... but I don't think
the colors quite compare with Kodachrome-25. I never did much with
Kodachrome-200... and when it started to be hard to send out for processing
(it usually took less than 1 week way back then) I moved away from slides
entirely instead of picking up Ektachrome(s) or Fuji slide films. I'd have
to go buy some Kodachrome-64 in order to shoot with it, but maybe I will...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...