[OM] Re: MOL update

Subject: [OM] Re: MOL update
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
Garry,

I have an extra MIJ 50/1.8 that you are welcome to borrow and try.  I'm in
Arlington.  Let me know offlist.

Gary Edwards

"Garry D. Lewis" <garrylewis747@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With a set of resolution charts in hand, I retested the Olympus against the
Nikkor.

I stuck the charts to a wall and made sure to lock up the mirror this time. I
had to switch to Acros film because I ran out of Agfa, but everything else
stayed the same. 125@5.6. D-76(1:1)@ 10.5 minute@68 degrees.
I judged by how many lines(both vertical and horizonal) in the smallest group
could be distinguished( in other words-a subjective call). I didn't translate
the #'s into lpm.

The centers were worlds apart, with the Nikkor resolving one whole smaller
group than the Olympus. But once again the Oly had more contrast.

At 3/4 out, the charts equalled out - same #'s in the same group were seeable.

At the edge, once again the #'s and group were the same.

I'm still going for an "MIJ" upgrade. But not I know why numerically.

I also tested my Oly 28mm/2.8 and my 135mm/3.5.

The 28 beat the 50mm Oly- was very very close to the Nikkor in the center- beat
both lenses at 3/4 out -was the equal of the Nikkor and Oly at the edge.

The 135mm results almost got tossed, because I forgot to remove the UV filter.
Even so it showed a close 2nd to
all the other lenses. The really suprising thing was the quantum leap going
from 5.6 to 8. It still didn't equal
the others but was pretty good for an pre-MC lens that starts at f/3.5.

I won't be doing any future tests, as I found out what I wanted to know- is it
me or the camera. Turns out it's a little of both. I won't be hand-holding at
slower than 1/60( unless there is no other way to get the photograph).
An I will be removing the UV filters and finding better ways of lens
protection.

A very educating project!

Yours with sore eye from staring at those charts,

Garry D. Lewis

List Problem"