[OM] Re: Doing my part

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing my part
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:00:02 -0300

On May 14, 2004, at 7:32 PM, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  Mention film to a 20-something, and I guarantee you'll either get a
> very slight laugh out of them, or, they'll show interest, but it'll be
> because they'll think it's a quaint 'niche' part of photography.

Hey, I'm 27 and I refuse to go to digital. I really love the look of
film. Also, no one has made the perfect digital camera for me (and most
aren't even close). The closest I've seen so far is the upcoming
Epson/Cosina digital rangefinder. That's really starting to tempt me to
get my feet wet digitally. One of the primary appeals is that it's a
nice small system and I could easily work with both film and digital
with 2 bodies. Basically, I want a digital that handles as close to a
mechanical camera as possible.

Depending on how the digital rangefinder handles, I might go for one
when it comes out (depending on price). What I'd really like to see is
a similar camera with a full frame sensor with a higher resolution and
lower price.

What I want from a digital:

1. Lightweight - I can't believe the weight of most pro SLRs film or
digital.

2. Small size - Goes along with 1.

3. Simple interface - I'd rather just be able to shoot quickly when I'm
out and not have to fuss around with a lot of options. Capturing with
RAW should allow you to adjust things like white point at a later time.

4. Allow me to work with both film and digital seamlessly - this means
using a 35mm lens line and fully supporting it as well as some serious
nods to 1 and 2 if I'm going to have to lug around 2 bodies.

Right now I'm content to limit my digital work to scanning film. I'm
still thinking that my next big investment in digital will be a better
scanner and a photo quality inkjet printer rather than a digital
camera.