[OM] Re: Comet was Re: Transit of Venus/Exposure

Subject: [OM] Re: Comet was Re: Transit of Venus/Exposure
From: Chi-hung Yeung <bcchye@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:53:30 +0800
Hi Gary and Charlie,

Hong Kong is cloud covered in the evening for the past weeks, I had only a
glimpse of Comet Neat.

If you want to photograph the Venus transition, the first thing come to my
mind is image scale.  The sun's image can be estimated by the following
expression:

Image size of sun on film = focal length / 110

If you are using a 500 mm lens, the sun will be about 4.5 mm on the
film.  On the transit day, Venus ' apparent size is about 1/30 of the Sun;
so it is about 0.15 mm on the film.  This may be a bit too small, I would
suggest using a longer focal length e.g. by using tele-plus lens.  To fill
a 135 film with the sun, you need a focal length of about 2000 mm.

If you intend to use the exposure meter, try spot metering and bracket from
+1EV to +3 EV (or more).  It is a good idea to experiment before hand as
suggested by Carlos.  If you start in the early morning, exposure will
decrease (shorter exposure) as the Sun rises higher.

I have not used the Thousand Oak solar film but I have used their glass
solar filter.  For me, the correct exposure when the Sun is overhead is
f/10, 1/2000 seconds on ISO100 negative film.

I strongly recommend you to try out your set up at least once before the
"Big Day", as a slight overexposure may wash out the tiny Venus black
dot.  There are at least two large groups of sunspots on the Sun right now
and they can serve as an indication of correct exposure.  Without the
sunspots, it is difficult to tell whether the exposure is correct.

C. H. Yeung
from Hong Kong