[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #112

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #112
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:57:06 -0700
>From: "jamesfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jamesfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Epson red shift returns
>Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:21:14 -0400
>
>When the Epson 1270 first came out, there was a lot of hue (no pun
>intended!) and cry about a red shift occuring after a few days or weeks (in
>some instances, a few hours).  I understood that Epson had solved the
>problem, but a print I created a few weeks ago is gradually turning red in
>the black areas of the image.  This print is of the Bounty (the ship used
>for the Marlon Brando version of the movie), and the black ship is
>gradually turning red and there is even a slight magenta cast in the sky.
>The print is not behind glass and is merely hanging on my wall.  I was
>wondering if anyone else had experienced this same problem with the
>1270/1280/1290 printers?
>
>Jim Caldwell

Jim,
The print could be shifting in color due to outgassing by the dyes in
the prints.
A recommendation for improving the "archivability" of your print
would be to put it behind glass, obviouisly. The other recommendation
I would make is to print it on Kodak Ultima Ink Jet paper...Kodak
just announced  Ultima paper will prevents color shifting or fading
for 100 years, whether or not the print is behind glass. I found this
interesting, because I have a print that is on Ultima that is on my
cube at work that has been out in the open for two years now,  and it
has yet to show any fading at all. Virtually all of the other papers
that I used with this printer show noticable shifting and fading,
inculding the Epson glossy papers, the worst being Olympus Pictorico
film. You could also try Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl, which  is
supposed to provide good life for prints.

-Stephen.