[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:50:28 +0200

Walt - It seems Iwert beat me to it - in sending his assessment of your
5400 scans.  I printed a couple (red hot-rod and squirrel) at A4 size and
they're stunning!  But it really is strange to see the grain (looking like
noise) so clearly.  On my cheapo Acer 2700 scanner it's just
out-of-focus/mush.
Many thanks for the effort to distribute the CDs- I think we all learnt a
lot (even if we're not sure to have all come to the same conclusions!)
Cheers,
Jez

                      iwert

                      <iwert@safe-mail         To:      <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>

                      .net>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: [OM] Test scans from
walt - minolta 5400
                      olympus-owner@ml

                      .free.fr

                      18/05/2004 19:54

                      Please respond

                      to olympus

Hello Walt,

I got your CD with scans today through Jez.
I have a question: I see in all pictures a very visible grain in RGB, even
on the velvia shot.
This seems odd to me, since velvia and most other 100 asas do not show
grain.
I have scanned on a minolta dualscan pro, and there no grain is visible.
(it almost looks like an add noise filter in photoshop...)
Could this be the ICE?
Did you try to scan without ICE and without sharpening? With fresh
developed
clean slides this should be no problem...

Iwert.