[OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
> The discussion about Walt's scanner, sharpness, and grain
> reminds me of
> problems I had with my former Nikon scanner that now lives
> with Ag Schnozz.

Yes, and I'm waiting for my "upgrade" from you too.

> I would often get scans that were very sharp in the
> center and soft at the edges.

To get around this with slides, I've had to take a couple of
them out of the mounts and use the negative holder which does
hold them pretty flat.

> Speaking of Vuescan, I don't use it anymore.  Nothing against
> it, but I forced myself to learn to use Silverfast, which
> came bundled with my Polaroid SS4000 many moons ago.

I keep up to date with my Vuescan downloads.  In fact, did one
to 8.0.1 last night.  Encountered a real oddity that I'm
thinking a system reboot will take care of. Strangest thing. The
scan caught the peppergrain in the Provia, but detailed edges
were stairstepped--as though it was scanned at a much lower
resolution.  Anyway, as always, I muddle on.

> After calibrating to the IT8 target last night...

YOU have the IT8 35mm target?  Can you bring it with you when we
get together for our B&W outing?  I desparately need to create a
better profile.  Shoot, I'll even DRIVE over (at today's
ludicrous gas prices) to pick it up.

I'll especially make the trip if you bribe me with the usage of
something Zuiko.  Doesn't even have to be chrome-nosed if it
happens to be the one that has the preset aperture, if you know
what I mean.  The OM-2S has felt deprived for so long.

AG-Schnozz