[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 08:44:36 -0500
I'm not sure I follow this discussion.  One of my favorite tools in the
darkroom was a grain focus finder.  It would magnify the projected image
and you would focus until the grain was really sharp.  Then you knew you
were there.

Film has grain.  All film.  Find the grain, you got focus.  Scan at 2700
ppi, 4000, 5400 -- when you arrive at the portal of truth, you find
grain.

Am I missing something?  Are you all really trying to say Walt's scanner
accentuates grain or something like that?

Back in the days when Polaroid and Nikon were the only players in the
film scanner business and users would bash each other, one complaint
Polaroid users had about Nikon is that the Nikon-type sensor accentuates
grain.  Nikon users complained that the Polaroid scan was soft.

Is that what this discussion is about?

Joel W.