[OM] Re: Reverse lens questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Reverse lens questions
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:28:26 -0400
on 2004/05/23 9:08 PM, Mickey  Trageser at Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was thinking of getting a 49mm to 49mm reversing ring to put a 50/1.8 on a
> 50/3.5. Has anyone done this? Anything I should consider before trying it
> (like- no, THAT won't work, or -What are you thinking, man?)? I was curious
> which to stop down, or both? Does TTL flash function well with this rig? Any
> other recommendations?

I've put a 50/1.4 on a 200/4, which gives 4X Magnification.

Basically this is like putting a closeup lens on. The primary lens and
everything else functions normally. The magnification is roughly the focal
length of the primary divided by that of the reversed lens, so the setup you
describe will give you 1:1 without turning the helicoid.

Another way to figure it is that two 50's together make a 25, and it's now
2F from the film. When you rack the focus out it'll be 3F, and thus give you
2X.

You may want to consider putting the 50/1.4 on longer lenses to get more
magnification, or reversing a shorter lens.

Careful you don't scratch the rear element of the reversed lens.

Reversing rings can be hard to find - a store had some real cheap (about CDN
2), so if you're interested I could get one and mail it.

Andrew