[OM] Re: In press (not impress)!

Subject: [OM] Re: In press (not impress)!
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 07:36:54 EDT
Sam,

In my opinion, you can certainly tell them you're giving them permission for
a one-time use and to check back with you for future permission to print or
send on the photos. After all, don't expect the NY Times to be interested in
your local mayor's ceremony unless something else newsworthy happens during the
ceremony, and you get it on film. Like E.T. arrives and turns himself in, or
something on a grand scale.  Depends on the size of the paper, on what their
policy is to whether they pay and how much to use your photos, but I think
they'd
pay something.
The "local" paper here, which covers a county with 1 million population, and
has a couple hundred thousand circulation usually pays amateurs ( like they do
me ) $50-$75 for a B&W shot used inside a section, $75 if they print it in
color, and, I think $100-$150 for that color shot if they use it on the front
page. They also, of course develop and print the entire roll of film for you
and, in my case, send me off with a few new rolls of film.

Hope this helps,
George S.