[OM] Re: Reverse lens questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Reverse lens questions
From: Marten T Beels <martentb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:11:28 -0500
> > I was thinking of getting a 49mm to 49mm reversing ring to put a 50/1.8 on
> > 50/3.5. Has anyone done this? Anything I should consider before trying it
> > (like- no, THAT won't work, or -What are you thinking, man?)? I was
> curious
> > which to stop down, or both? Does TTL flash function well with this rig?
> Any
> > other recommendations?

I did that very thing with a variety of lens combinations.  I couldn't find a
reversing ring, but I did find two 49mm cokin A adapters for pennies apiece in
a store's "junk" box.

I also took a rear lens cap and cut out the center to make a crude lens hood,
mainly to protect my rear element.

As for stopping down which aperature, I found that closing down the reversed
lens had a huge effect, the effective aperature was multiplied by some
constant.  It seemed to quickly get me to diffraction limited sharpness.  I
decided to leave the reversed lens wide open or stopped down one or two
stops.  The rest of the exposure was done from the forward lens.  But that was
just my experimenting.

Some of my experimenting is documented on my old web  page at:

http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb/oldpage/photography/macro.html

Overall it seemed to work quite well.  I lost a lot of edge sharpness, but I
think that the quality was better then other "cheap" close up methods.  Most
of my insect photos were taken with some reversed combination of lenses.

Marten
KC8HZM
http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb