[OM] Wild, wooley Matrix Metering

Subject: [OM] Wild, wooley Matrix Metering
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sometimes, there just isn't any excuse.  Morons R Us.

With my beloved OM-2S, I can meter and override the meter like
there is no tomorrow.  Rarely do I ever blow an exposure.  OTF
flash metering is tops, and the spot/manual to
aperature-priority auto exposure mode switch is impossible to
beat.

Then there comes Matrix Metering on the new fangled cameras.
Ok, tricky lighting situations and my M*nolta A1 is dead on.
Bright sunlight?  Dead-on.  Shadows?  Dead-on.  It seems to know
when you are taking a picture in bright light and it will always
prevent the meter from under-exposing the scene.

Unless...

Unless you have a stinking Polorizer or ND filter on the camera.
 The reduction in light level FOOLS the matrix metering into
thinking that you are NOT in bright sunlight.  It seems that the
metering algorithm looks at the maximum EV and determines scene
type from that.  The reduction in light from the polorizer fools
the meter because the maximum EV is not the same as an
unfiltered lens.

You can't even exposure compensate because the matrix metering
has determined that the scene type is something totally
different than bright sunlight.  It goes and applies a different
metering expectation to the scene.  Brilliant, but dumb.

Same goes for sticking colored filters on the lens.  Completely
screws up the WB and Matrix.  It only took me 5000 pictures with
this camera to figure out what was going on and verify and test
it.

I love my OM-2S...

AG-Schnozz

http://messenger.yahoo.com/