[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistenc

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:02:28 +0100 (BST)
Chris, Moose et al.
Thank you for the advice I think some of the problems I have had are down
to a few simple causes

1. I was expecting the scans to turn out *exacly* like the prints. Now I
look at some of the scans I did last night (no locking just letting
vuescan do an automatic colour ballance and setting the brightness to
about 1.24). I see that they are more natural in brightness and have
detail in clouds and dark clothing. the prints look detailed and make a
strong impact but I can get the same effect by setting vuescans black and
white settings to about 4-7% and on a monitor I don't like the result.
2. The minolta software is poor options are duplicated in various places,
not predictable or consistent.
3. I will scan and save using vuescans raw mode to minimise handling of
the negatives and minimise qwuality loss and then look at trying to
automate any corrections I need to apply. I can then manually correct any
that don't look good after the automated process.

This morning I found ICC profiles for both the scanner and the monitor and
will see what effect they have.
I have bought a cheap colour and grey scale patch chart and will take
print and slide film versions of it and see how they scan. at least that
way I will have a visual reference which is not a print. Hopefully with
ICC colour profiles for the scaner and monitor I can evaluate the scanner
better.

Regards
James