[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsi

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:08:16 +0100 (BST)
Joel

> I think your notion of trying slides is not all that bad.  Don't use
> Kodachrome.  You might try an E6 film of broad latitude like Agfa RSX,
> but any E6 will do. You'll at least be able to determine if the scanner
> can do a slide and isn't broken.
I managed to buy a cheap colour and grey scale card and will take a shoot
of that with each of the fils I use and a few print films and see what I
get

> With negatives on Vuescan, just to get you going, go to the "Colors"
> menu and select "White balance".
tried that last night works well for some picts but adds casts on others.
I guess there is no one perfect automated setting :-(

> Ultimately, if you can get software that presents you with a histogram
> and allows you to set the dark and light points on it, you will have the
> control you desire.
vuescan 8 has histograms. Still learning how to use them though.
Regards
James