[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistenc

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:14:52 +0100 (BST)
> James, Recently followed your route, using the same logic and same
> scanner.
>  Also use colour print film for casual use, but mainly B+W.
>  Set up the scanner about 3 weeks ago, and played around with a few old
> slides. Doesn't really count as I was after posterisation and graphical
> images NOT realism.
>  Once I found out scanner "worked" I promptly left it due to pressure of
> work. Want to get to grips with it over the next few weeks so I am very
> interested to know how you get on....
> I intend using an Epson 1160 and Lyson B+W inks.
>                         Regards, John Duggan, Wales, UK.

John,
played around a lot last night with automated settings and not locking the
colour or brightness for the entire film (about 4-5 hours)

brightness of about 1.24 worked well for much of the roll (some shoots
outside in bright daylight some mixed sky and water and some inside an art
gallery) and some shoots of a sun set
getting a single automatic setting for the colour colour ballance was more
difficult. Auto ballance seemed to work well, white ballance and neautral
settings where less consistent. In the end I had to ballance the sun set
manually.
I found that 48 bit scans are huge and photo shop elements 2 does not like
them But you get much less problems if you radically change the brightness
ot other colour setting. Making a very dark scene brighter with 24 bit
colour caused the colour ballabce to go crazy!

My next experiment will be to take shoots of a cheap colour and grey scale
test strip I got from jessops. ( I also managed to get ICC clour pofiles
for the scanner and printer which I wil also have a play wth)