[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistenc

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:19:16 +0100 (BST)
thanks for the advice Roland.
I tried locking the settings as vuescan recommends but the brightness
levels where all over the place for the film!
what procedure did you use for manual focus? I played around with it and
found it really difficult to see small changes to the focus on the
previews (800dpi).. it was a SLOW process and I was not convinced I got
anything sharper than the auto focus.

> I just finished scanning a batch of (> 200) Kodak 400UC negatives on my
> Minolta Multi II (2800 dpi,
> I also could not afford higher resolution and I occasionally need medium
> format scanning capabilities).
>
> Try the following:
>
>     * lock the exposure
>     * use manual focus (on the Multi II) this is part of the work flow
>     * scan as positives

I have not tried scanning as positives only as negatives! I guess at some
point I will still need to invert the colours

>     * use VueScan for an initial film transfer function correction
>     * make sure you scan consistently with respect to emulsion (I do
>       emulsion down)

Regards
James