[OM] Re: source for PX625 mercury batteries?

Subject: [OM] Re: source for PX625 mercury batteries?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:37:27 +0100
I found an old email from Bob Shell regarding Zinc-Air and Wein cells (of
which he is the co-inventor), which may be of interest.  The relevant
extract:

"The Weincell is a compromise. It works just like mercury cells, but has a
much shorter life. We modified the electrolyte to match the discharge curve
of mercury cells and made the air holes smaller to lengthen life, so they do
work better than generic zinc air cells. They last much longer in humid
climates. What kills them is evaporation of water from the gel electrolyte
inside, so keeping them moderately humid is essential for long life. "

Piers