[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsi

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:53:30 -0500
Hi James,

Well, that means it's working correctly!  Unfortunately, in my
experience with Vuescan only "white balance" or rarely "auto" is good
for anything.  If you can't get one of those to work, you're cooked.
You'll have to correct color elsewhere.

> > Ultimately, if you can get software that presents you with
> a histogram
> > and allows you to set the dark and light points on it, you
> will have the
> > control you desire.
> vuescan 8 has histograms. Still learning how to use them though.
> Regards
> James

It will repay the effort I think.

BTW, you mentioned in one of your notes that your monitor is not
matching your prints.  There is no intrinsic reason why it should unless
you have the means to calibrate your monitor or you tweak it manually to
match your print output.  The system driving color to the monitor is
separate and unrelated to what drives color to the printer.  So don't
get too hung up over discrepancies.

Sorry, I didn't catch what software you're finishing up with.
Photoshop?

Joel W.