[OM] Re: super light weight tripod opinions please

Subject: [OM] Re: super light weight tripod opinions please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:16:53 -0700
WOW, that's a lot of money for a 25" high tripod! How about taking a
light, cheap tripod and just gettomg rid of the bottom leg sections? You
could get about the same height and weight for a heck of a lot less
money. And it wouldn't matter what happened to it out in the wilds.

My much loved light tripod, the Velbon 343e, is 2 lbs. Set it up
anywhere up to 53", put a little down pressure on camera/lens with your
hands (damps mirror slap too) and it is remarkably steady. Really fast
to set up and take down with flip locks. Although somewhat less than
perfectly comfortable to hold, I've used it as a walking stick like a
monopod. I keep thinking I need to make a handle to mount on the tripod
thread for walking. Comes with a decent little ball head (included in
the 2# weight) for $70. For serious backpacking, I'd likely just take
the featherweight folding plastic tripod I got at REI. Only holds the
camera up about a foot, but has a velcro strap for attaching to trees
and such.

Moose