[OM] Re: In press (not impress)!

Subject: [OM] Re: In press (not impress)!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 01:44:52 -0500
Sam,
If it's not too late . . .

Tell them you want photo credit *and* payment.

I'd imagine in the $25-$50 range _PER_PHOTOGRAPH_USED_ for
_NON-EXCLUSIVE__ONE_TIME_ publication including web posting if they post
articles on their web site.  Throw in a clause for exclusivity for press
publication for a _SHORT__LIMITED_ time such as a week or so if there are
competing papers in your town.  Do NOT, repeat DO NOT assign exclusive
rights for anything other than a very short limited time, only for press
publication, and only if they want some exclusivity.  Payment due within 30
days of publication.

Some publications, such as books, pay a scale based on size of photo in
relation to page size and number of books to be printed in the press
run.  Be prepared for something like that . . . but I'd go with a flat fee
for a newspaper.

I wouldn't give it to them for free.  Some of these folks think someone
will be dazzled by seeing their name in print under a photo and give it to
them for free.  IMVHO it's male bovine fecal matter.  You have expenses and
there is the value of your time to deliver what they want too.  If they
balk, suggest they assign a staff photog to cover it and walk away from
it.  Don't be nasty, just matter-of-fact, rational and that your pix aren't
free.

I'm hard-line about things like this.  A portion of their profit is made
from being able to publish a photographs of events.  If they use a photo of
yours, you deserve a slice of that profit by helping enable it . . . and
you deserve compensation for your time and expenses.

-- John Lind