[OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:47:39 +0000
Moose opines:

>Some other real values: Tamron 35-105/2.8 asp. Excellent optical performance
>at the same size >and weight as the 35-80/2.8 for about 1/3 the cost.

I am a genuine and enthusiastic Tamron fan.  Out of 31 lenses currently in my
cupboard that fit the OMs, only 9 are not Zuikos, and 6 of those are Tamrons.
Alas, none of them is the highly-touted 35-105/2.8 Tamron, so I, once again,
could be wrong.  But the more I use it, the more I am convinced there is no
better zoom lens on this planet than the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko.  I have praised the
28-105/2.8 Tamron, both for its optical performance and its range, and it is
the lens in my one camera/one lens kit.  But except for the 50/2 Zuiko, it is
my honest opinion that the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko is a better lens than any of the
Zuiko (or Tamron) primes or zooms that fall within that range.  Get one if you
can.  If you can't, get a Tamron -- either one of them.

>But here I reveal my weakness, I just bought Tom's 90/2 even though I have a
>Tamron SP 90/2.5 >and Kiron 105/2.8. I've just gotta see how that legendary
>Zuiko might work for me. I know Walt >says it is a dead heat in all reaspect
>but wide open speed with the Tamron 90/2.8 and not as >sharp as the 100/2, but
>Gary's tests showed the 90 and 100 in a dead heat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  I find myself, however, using the
Zuiko more, in spite of the fact the Tamron goes to 1:1 without accessories.  I
think it's mostly because the Zuiko is heavy and substantial and solid and
feels like a REAL lens, while the Tamron is so light that it seems
insubstantial and even flimsy.  But it's not.

Honestly, I can tell little or no difference in photographs taken with these
two lenses.  Any distinction between the two is mostly subjective.  I made a
series of test shots with the two on Provia 100F, but my E-6 processor sends
back plastic-mounted slides without numbers, and I spilled them all out (I'm
sometimes a little clumsy, even when sober), and then I couldn't tell which
shot was with which lens.  Now, that's truly a blind test, and that was enough
for me to decide one lens wasn't better than the other.  And that includes the
bokeh.

If I should decide to sell my Zuiko 90/2, forget I said that.

Oh, and as a last word, the 50/2 and 100/2 Zuikos are the best of the bunch --
at least of the bunch I've got.

Walt