[OM] Re: Arches and Canyonlands in the heat of the summer.

Subject: [OM] Re: Arches and Canyonlands in the heat of the summer.
From: Bob_Benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:22:37 -0500
SUV is good ...

Generally,  for vistas,  early/late is much better than noon.  For
in-canyons,  doesn't matter much except for heat.

For vistas,
1.  the Burr Trail from Escalante (really, Boulder) to Hite Landing.  Road
to Escalante is great too.
2.  The trail around the edge of Canyonlands (Not the "islands in the sky"
but the "white trail")
3.  Escalante Canyons
4.  Capital Reef
5.  Combs Ridge (between Bluff and Mexican Hat .. take the dirt roads on
either side, north to 95)
6.  Monument Valley early AM especially

For in-canyon and rougher driving ...
1.  Valley of the Gods trail is good
2.  The old Mormon Trail (west of Bluff)
3.  Elephant Hill et al.  Slickrock trails in that area.
4.  Canyon rims area just south of Moab.  Get local map.  Entrance about 5
miles south (on west side).
5.  I'm partial to the San Rafeal Reef area, the local farm roads just
north of I 70

My opinion:  Arches is crowded,   too many folks clutter up the place. Get
local 4-wheel maps, avoid the cluttered places.

You probably know about this,  but the AAA California "Indian Country" map
is a necessity.

NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Sent by: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx
06/01/2004 09:05 AM