[OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:17:37 -0400
Winsor wrote:
>I agree except that if you travel you need at least one fast wide for
>those dim interior shots.

Yeah, I did have the same thought. I actually picked up a Vivitar
(Kiron) 28/2 with that in mind. Factoring in that it's hand-holdable
at about one stop slower shutter speed than a normal lens, it's
effectively the same speed as a 50/1.4.

This would have been another good value lens--if it had worked!
Unfortunately the diaphragm mechanism  is stuck open (apparently the
achilles heel of this design), and in my first tentative disassembly
I wasn't able to figure out how to get at it. (I knew before buying
that it might be broken; it was part of a cheap lot with other items
that were worth the total.) I might still try to find another
one--$50-$60 for them isn't unknown.

Thanks to all for the econo-zoom suggestions. I seem to have a blind
prejudice against zooms in general, which I should probably get over
someday. But for my way of shooting, being forced into "binary" lens
choices helps me think through "OK what am I trying to do here?"

cheers,

  -- Ross

"Do something foolish once, and it's a mistake.
  Do it repeatedly and it's a philosophy."