[OM] Re: Shoe 4 - Also the Pen FT eyepiece

Subject: [OM] Re: Shoe 4 - Also the Pen FT eyepiece
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:47:21 -0400
The one good thing is that with a replacable shoe, you can't rip the shoe out
of the camera or loosen it.  I once had a Leica CL that had been dropped whild
sporting a flash, thereby ripping the shoe off the camera.  Many of these
cameras then drop the bottom half of the rivits down into the camera's innards,
getting into places where they weren't supposed to be and causing havoc.

I've had more than one OM4 get a loose hot shoe from excessive flash force,
something that would never happen with a replacable, and disposable shoe.

I'll wag3er that the Pen F/FT's design was mostly a concession to style.  The
top plate's cosmetic lines are really ruined by a bolt-on shoe.  It's just a
shame that the eyepiece surround wasn't made of something more durable than
plastic; perhaps metal would have been better?  OTOH, I doubt whether they
cared that much; also 40 yr-old plastic is much more brittle than it was new.

Skip