[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:59:58 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Skip Williams" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 1. Metering many times overemphasizes the whites, rendering the total
scene underexposed.  I guess that's better than blowing the highlights
though.

I believe that is normal, I have mentioned many times here, you can save an
under exposed digital image but not over exposed one. Capture every tonal
details and adjust it later that is my digital workflow.

> 2. AF sometimes gets very, very confused at one end of the range.  With
the 50-200, I've had the camera not be able to go from one end of the
focusing range, sticking at a close distance.  Only an OFF-ON cycle fixed
it.

> 3. The camera sometimes halts, especially with the 50-200, for no apparant
reason.  Again, an OFF-ON cycle is the cure.

I have no 50-200 and didn't found any hang up yet. But my 10D did gave me
"err99" a few times with the 28-135 IS, again off-on cycle fix it.

<snip>

> 7. The time required for a shot to be available on the rear LCD is
somewhat long compared to some other cameras, esp the D2H.

May be, but E-1 already much faster than 10D on image reveiw. On the other
hand 10D gives 10x view, it is much details and sharper than the E-1 view.
Talking about D2H, one of my friend changed from E-1 to D2H, in less than
two weeks, he already sold the D2H, he said the noise level of D2H is very
high, he prefer the D70.

> A question:
>
> I don't find the write times a problem, and the timing from dpreview.com
shows that the E-1 is actually much faster at RAW file writing, but on a par
with JPG's.  Why do you say that the 10D is faster?

10D is definately much slower in write.

C.H.Ling